Monday, August 30, 2010

Behind the Blog: Up Close and Personal Look at Me


Each week we spend time looking at three topics together. I have covered a wide range of subjects from politics to sexual health. But this week, I thought it would be interesting to devote a blog to the author. In, today’s blog you will learn all about me. I think you might find it to be a cool story. Read on and find out more about my life journey.
I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. I always had an interest in medicine and for years dreamed about being a doctor. But that dream was put on hold because I had trouble passing organic chemistry. I let this subject stand in my way of pursuing a true passion. Instead, I decided to focus my efforts on graduating from college really early at 18. I went on to get a Master’s degree in Political Science. This was not something that I was passionate but I viewed it as an alternative to medicine.
After getting an MA at 19, I decided to get some life experience. The classroom did not provide me with any real life skills so I did some volunteer work at a radio station and wrote some health articles for a local community college paper. But I was still unfulfilled and decided to work on getting into a doctoral program in political science. I applied for several schools and ended up in the Sunshine state. I was accepted into both the doctoral program in Political Science and a special medical journalism degree program at UF.
I started out in both programs and realized that was too much work. So I spent a year in Political Science only to switch to journalism. I also did an internship in radio where I met my future husband, James.
Fast forward, five years later I am now happily married and the mother of a one week old baby, Tiffany. Nothing that I learned in the classroom could ever prepare me for the challenges of being a mother. It’s been an amazing journey that has only just begun.
Well, thanks for letting me share my story. I would love to hear about you. Take a few minutes to tell me an interesting personal story. See you next time in blog land.

No comments:

Post a Comment